World has shrunk with invent of Internet. Internet today has subtly but surely become an integral part of our life. The Internet is a large, global expanse with billions of people; 2.5 billion people inhabit the Internet. In fact more than a quarter of our seven billion people on the planet are now online.
Social networking is the grouping of individuals into specific groups. Although social networking is possible in person, especially in the workplace and educational institutions, it is most popular online. When it comes to online social networking, websites are commonly used. These websites are known as social sites.
Social networking websites function like an online community of internet users. It allows users to share ideas, pictures, posts, activities, events, and interests with people in the network. Once you are granted access to a social networking website you can begin to socialize.
There are 1000 million social media users plugged into Facebook, and nearly 500 million of them log into the social network every single day. In fact, in just one day on Facebook, 250 million photos are uploaded, and 500 million statuses are updated. Twitter with 500 million plus users posing stiff competition to 500 million plus uses in Google+.
Today more than 100 hours of video are uploaded to Youtube every minute. Flickr enables passionate photographers to share their snaps with other like-minded individuals. Instagram with over 150 million users on the platform, 15 billion photos shared, the photo-sharing is one of the most engaging channels on social media, with 55 million photos on an average are uploaded every day.
Posting a text or uploading a photo into the digital world needs few real world ground rules as follows;
- Any good creative write up can evoke interest in many.
- Any new idea shared can trigger new business proposition.
- A perfect picture taken can create a passion in others.
- An innovative video can turnaround other’s life.
- An inspiring quote can change the perspective of an individual.
- Don’t upload a post which may hurt other’s religious sentiment or personal feelings.
- Don’t upload a photo which may depict others in bad light or offensive manner.
- Don’t upload a post which may misguide or misled people.
- Don’t upload a photo without obtaining a written permission or a verbal consent.
- Don’t upload a post or photo which you haven’t fully read or believed it.
In this internet age, when everything is available for scrutiny, one disturbing photo or one derogatory post can make or break the way we play our game in the digital world.