Our engine of creativity needs that ignition to start and many times when (mind in cold storage) it needs that gentle push to get it started. Just like the machine needs the ignition, the mind needs the inspiration. It is not always easy to sit down and start writing straight away, and ideas needs nurturing. It is indeed a very tough job to keep the creative juice freely flowing. We all have our own sources to activate and energize our engine of creativity but the process of engineering differs from person to person.
There is a method in this madness of creativity…
There are sources and we need to keep tapping these sources depending on the time, mood, place, people, motion and emotion.
- Book – It has always been a joy of reading a good book and the moment I finish, the lovely taste keeps lingering in my mind. My creative cells run riot. It effortlessly takes into a different world…a world full of dialogues, conflicts and resolutions and plots and sub-plots. That’s enough to trigger my creative inspiration. There are so many books that have deeply fascinated me and each has a made a special place in my heart, for me “Picture of Dorian Gray” remains an enigma.
- Blog – There are so many blog posts that instantly connects with us and we immediately relate every bit of the scenes depicted in the post. The narration is exactly the way we would have wanted it to be and we then start thinking that we all think alike, only that express it differently. With millions of blog it is just not possible to read through all the blogs, hence we have to select few blog posts based on our time availability and belonging to our area of interest, my interest (Creative Writing, Creativity, Photography, Art & Philosophy, Writing & Blogging).
- Observation – This is such an integral part of our life, we can do it anywhere and anytime but we need to have an eye for detail and an ear for lending. Our senses are underutilized unless we optimize our power of observation, and it is through seeing, listening, touching to smelling. I love looking at different things and as I keep travelling very frequently on my business trip, for me “AIRPORT” is most happening place to observe so many things, it is the kaleidoscope of the world…ideas keep flowing.
- Conversation – We keep talking and interacting with our family members, friends and people we keep meeting at offices, in a party, in a meeting. This conversations is fertile ground for idea germination. The topic ranges from business to politics to sports to social issues and it depends on where we are coming from. It questions us and keeps us asking questions. Wherever I go for any business meeting or for a general discussion, I make it a point once the agenda is over, to touch on some common topic of interest to augment creativity.
- Photography – There pictures embedded with their own stories to tell; it is how much we get involved. We capture the moment and the moment we think about it, it has become history. There are emotions and there are expressions all gets captured without a cut. My Canon Camera 600D is my best companion on my travel, and when I find leisure time I keep the manual mode on…it keeps me creatively engaged.
- Painting – This is an art form that keeps me always fascinated and I keep searching for that elusive thought hidden in the cover of the canvas. The canvas is such a powerful medium; it translates any wild imagination into a magical inspiration. The colours, the connection, the abstraction, the combination keeps me thinking. I keep randomly visiting art galleries and recently I was at the Jahangir Art Gallery in Mumbai, the best in India…I was inspired.
- Walking – I don’t know, the moment I am on a walk in the park I get my creative cells are up and talking. They talk to each other and talk with the nature and the nurturing that happens set the creative juice flowing. I go into a mode of self-discovery process and it is so enabling and so engaging. There are now studies showing the connection between walking and creativity. It’s my routine and unless I am travelling my destination for walking is the KBR National Park in the heart of my city of pearl.
- Travelling – Who can question the power of travelling? The thought of it sets the mind on a trip of wonderful exploration. This is a universal phenomena which has always been the fundamental sources for constant learning and acquiring knowledge that fuels the creative power within us. I have always fallen in love with the mesmerizing beauty of the “Valley of Kashmir” and every time I look for an inspiration I just have to make an imaginative tour.
- Magazines – Though with digital explosion, print has been hibernated but there are enough of these endangered print magazines that we love to flip and glance through, perhaps we do it less than earlier and we see many things that we have been overlooking over the years. The National Geography Magazine is where I keep searching for that inspiring article and in Jan’15 issue it was the “First Artists”. (the greatest innovation in the history of humankind was neither the stone tool nor the steel sword, but the invention of symbolic express by the first artists).
- Movies – One of prime source of inspiration for me are the movies and it has always reflected the different perspectives of the changing moods of our society and there are these path breaking movies that have moved us and we have set new ways of thinking and living. The movies elevates us from our misery and our state of drudgery, and the move “AVATAR” for me with its ‘3D’ effect to Aliens to Science Fiction remains an eternal source of my creativity.